Sunday, May 28, 2006

New Dolls -- Meg

A lot of things happened between 2001 and 2006, when I started making dolls regularly again. There were some in between--I think I stopped making Horned Faeries sometime in 2002--but I didn't make many dolls at all. Part of the reason was that most of my dollmaking supplies were in Storage for almost three years, which kind of cut back on my ability to make dolls, don't you think? :)

And I made other things during that time--I crocheted bears and learned how to knit, among other things. But I missed dollmaking.

After buying my own house and finally having all my supplies in one room and rather organized, I made a couple of dolls in 2005, but I wanted something different. It wasn't until I made my first sweater bear (and those that came after him) that I started considering the use of cashmere, merino wool, and wool sweaters for dolls. For bears, that's one thing, of course. But dolls? I wasn't certain it would work.

Meg was my first attempt at recycling sweaters to make dolls. On April 11, 2006, I finished her, and I was very pleased at the results:

My goal was to have a fairly simple arm and leg pattern as my nod to my love of primitive style dolls, but still have a sort-of different look as well. If that makes sense. I wanted to try for joints, or interior wiring for posing, and I wanted to utilize recycled fabrics, beads, yarn, vintage buttons, and just about anything else I could manage to come up with.

Specifics: Cashmere 'skin', needlesculpted face, cashmere blend tunic, mohair/angora/acrylic 'tights', chenille crochet beaded belt with czech beads and rainbow fluorite chips, handknotted black handspun yarn hair, antique mother-of-pearl button joints (all matching) on both her arms and her legs. Painted face. Chalk blush. Jointed arms and legs (button joints on knees and sewn on elbows.) 13" tall.


Meg is available for sale in my Etsy shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home